Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Homemade Peanut Butter ~ Axille's Vegan Corner

Back in the Philippines, there's a brand of peanut butter that my mom use to buy which is Lily's peanut butter. I would spread that over a freshly baked Pandesal (bread roll), have it for dessert or snack and that was enough for me to satisfy my sweet tooth.  Even after so many years here in the States, I would still crave for that sweet, smooth and yummy peanut butter.

Then one day, I finally found an asian store that sells this brand.  But to my surprise, I was shocked to see the amount of oil it has because you can easily see the separation of oil and peanut butter. In spite of the volume of oil, I still went ahead and bought one because I thought it was worth it. However, I was horrified to taste the staleness of my once beloved peanut butter spread.  I was so disappointed and then I thought, how long has that jar of peanut butter been sitting on the shelf. So lesson learned, always check for the expiration date and if you ever see some oil stained on the label that's a good indication that it's not tightly sealed which means the food goes bad in a short amount of time. So now, I've succumb to buying Jif or Skippy and it has to be honey roasted because it's the closest to my favorite peanut butter.

When my husband and I became vegans, we were more conscious about processed foods. So we started reading labels and researching words we've never heard before. Lately, I've been making everything from scratch including peanut butter. I can't believe how easy it is to make one. So here it is folks, my own version of Lily's peanut butter. My food processor is about a gazillion years old so if you have the high end, it'll probably be way smoother than mine.  Also a word of caution, do not increase the amount of oil. After it's been blended, a tablespoon per cup of roasted peanut is all you need. So go ahead and try, let me know what you think.

Homemade Peanut Butter

Servings 1 cup

Ingredients:
1 cup roasted peanuts
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp agave nectar syrup
1/2 tsp fine sea salt

Directions:


  1. Remove the lid and place the peanuts in a food processor and grind until it resembles a coarse meal.
  2. Then remove the top cover or mouth cover of the lid and slowly drizzle the oil while the food processor is running. Wait until you see some consistency.
  3. Take the lid off and add the agave syrup and salt, blend for another 2 to 3 minutes or until it looks smooth.
Place the peanut butter in an airtight container like a mason jar and store it in the refrigerator. Good for almost 2 months or while it last.


Click on the link below:

No comments:

Post a Comment