Thursday, January 23, 2014

Kale Salad with Citrus Dressing ~ Axille's Vegan Corner

The first time I tried kale it completely turned me off because it was bitter and tough. I love bitter melon but I'm putting my foot down on this one. Then one day, my co-workers and I rode the train to the Phoenix airport and had lunch over at Chelsea's kitchen. They had this kale salad but it wasn't what I ordered because I didn't want to pay for a meal that I'm absolutely going to hate. However, my co-worker urged me to try her kale salad and perhaps I would order it the next time we dine there. When I tasted it, my eyes went wide open and I said...OH MY WORD!!! I didn't realize that kale could be sooo delicious. I mean, this was unbelieva-brah! Because of this salad, I was inspired to create my own version.

So, the next time you make a salad instead of using an iceburg or romaine lettuce, why not try kale. Did you know that kale is rich in vitamins A, C & K and it's only 34 calories per cup serving. My Kale salad with citrus avocado dressing is sweet, tangy and creamy. I urge you to try kale and I'll make a kale believer out of you.

Kale Salad with Citrus Avocado Dressing
2 - 3 Servings

Ingredients:
6 - 8 lacinato or dinosaur kale leaves
1 avocado
juice of 1 orange
juice of 1 lemon
10 - 12 grape tomatoes, cut in half
1 tbsp hemp seed (optional)
sea salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup of quinoa

Directions:

  1. Wash the kale throughly and place it in a salad spinner to dry it out.
  2. Cut the kale in half and remove the rib or stem. Stack the kale leaves in a pile and roll it like a cigar, then cut it into shreds or chiffonade.
  3. Squeeze the juice of 1 lemon and 1 orange.
  4. Cut the grape tomatoes in half and set it aside.
  5. Cut the avocado in half and remove the pit, reserve the other half for the salad dressing. Cube the other half by slicing it lengthwise then crosswise.
  6. Pour the lemon, orange, salt, pepper and the other half of the avocado in a food processor and blend until smooth and creamy.
  7. Place the kale in a large bowl then add the quinoa and the citrus avocado dressing, then toss it well until everything is well coated with the dressing.
  8. Plate it in a serving dish or a salad bowl and garnish it with the grape tomatoes and avocado.
  9. Sprinkle with some hemp seeds or any type of nuts that you prefer for texture and flavor, then serve.

3 comments:

  1. I didn't know quiona can be eaten raw. I will try this receipe tonight. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't believe she used raw quinoa, but had some which was cooked.

    ReplyDelete